Sunday, August 11, 2013

Trusting one another

When observing my own two little kids this week, I began to think about trust.  Its amazing how much trust kids have in adults.  My kids trust that I will take care of them when they are sick.  They trust that I will be there to comfort them when they fall.  When they need a drink or a snack, I will be there to give them what they need.  Where does the trust change?  Is it when they are in high school?  College?  Adults?
In a school you must have trust.  Teachers must trust administrators, students must trust teachers, teachers must trust students.  If one does trust the other than relationships fail to be built and issues begin to arise.  Learning can only take place when trust is involved.
It starts with me as a leader. If my teachers cannot trust me then they cannot effectively do their job. Here are three ways that I have found teachers can build that trust with their leader:

1. Be Honest
The worst thing a leader can do is be dishonest with their people. One lie can ruin an entire school, company or whatever type of business you are in charge of.  If you are honest, even if it may not be what they want to hear they will begin to build trust.

2. Admit when you don't know something or are wrong.
Again this can go along with honesty.  If an employee asks a question and you don't know the answer, say you don't know the answer!  Don't make up some answer that could be right or might be right, just say you'll have to get back with them.  If you are wrong-Admit it and move on.  This can be one of the most difficult things for a person to do.

3. Trust in them
If you are a great leader you will have trust in your employee even before they have earned it.  Give them responsibility and if they fail, give them an opportunity to earn it back.  The more you trust in them most people will prevail and pull through.

Thanks for Reading--
@jfuhrman3932



No comments:

Post a Comment